Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Subway Stations and Life


Imagine this:
You are standing all alone in the middle of a subway station. Two subways are flying by you on both sides at top speed. Because of their speed, you are finding it hard to grasp exactly what is happening. It is all a blur to you. You feel confused, lonely, left behind. Everything around you is going by so fast and there, you are simply standing there going nowhere.


Do you have the mental image? Now think about that image in relation to life. Your life seems to be standing still, going nowhere at all! There seems to be no purpose. Nothing right now in your life seems to be taking you anywhere. You are stuck and you don't know what to do about it. The same old thing is happening day in and day out…week after week. Nothing changing, nothing new or exciting. You feel like you are wasting your life and you don't know what to do about it.

At the same time you are looking around you and it looks like everyone else's life is flying by. They have purpose. They have goals. Their life is headed somewhere. They don't seem to be wasting their life. Like a subway, their life is flyin' by, leaving you in the dust. You can't fully grasp it, except that you feel confused, alone and left behind.
That is exactly what I was going through this past week. I felt that my life was going absolutely nowhere. I felt like I could see my life stretched out in front of me, full of the same old thing for the rest of my life. I felt like I am completely wasting my life. As I look around, I see my close friends getting engaged, getting married, going to college, etc. All of them seem to have goals for their life, except me. All of them seem to have impact, except me. All of them are moving on in life, except me. All of them seem to be out of the transition part of life, except me.
But was that really the case? Is my life really like that? Am I wasting my life? Does God really know what He is doing with my life? Of course He does, He is God! He is the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. He knows exactly what He is doing with my life and has good reasons for what He is does. I knew all of this. However, I accepted some Satan's lies that I am wasting my life. This gave me a week of misery.
Then at the end of the week I finally had a much needed talk with my dear sweet mommy. She reminded me that I can't rush God. God has placed me in a transition stage of life. That means I have to just trust Him and do the things He has given me to do, trusting that He knows what He is doing. Romans 8:28-29 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be the first-born among many brethren." This time in my life is for my good, so that I can become more like my Savior. I cannot rush that process. I instead need to submit and let God mold and shape me.
Also, when Satan attacks me again, which he is going to do. I need to go to the Bible and read what God has done for me. I need to go back through my journals and read what He has already done in my life through difficult circumstances. I need to mediate on God's promises. And I need to be content with where God has me.

What about you, dear reader? What about your life? Are you going to lay your life in God's hands and leave it there? Are you going to be content, no matter what is going on in your life? Are you going to trust that God knows exactly what you need to become like Christ and accept it? Learn to enjoy the simple pleasures in life.
Carissa

1 comment:

  1. Pastor James MacDonald just wrote an amazing book on God's promises, called Always True. Your post reminded me of the second of the 5 promises in his book: God is always in control. I will not doubt. Be sure to check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Always-True-Gods-Promises-When/dp/0802458696/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296233164&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete